Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Guild Meeting Report

YES! I went to a knitting guild meeting last night. There were about 16 of us and we sat and knitted for about an hour and a half. I'd have to say that it was fabulous. 5 stars. A red letter day.

I went for the program portion, which was a good decision. I think that's what most people go for. There wasn't much of a program per say: all the new people introduced themselves (there were four of us) and we were all persuaded to become members. It wasn't a very hard sell since it only costs $2 for the rest of the year. Next year, we can renew for $12. That's right, a dollar a month. One. One dollar. James laughed when I told him that. He said that my hobbies are a lot cheaper than his. Then he took it back.

Next, we had show-and-tell, obviously the best part of the evening. We went around the room and everyone showed what they were working on. A few people brought recently finished projects. One woman is knitting the Clapotis from knitty. Very nice. And the girl across from me was knitting with some yarn that she had spun.

I took my toe-up socks from elann. The other knitters nodded appreciatively. One commented on the tiny needles. That made me feel good.


The program was on how to decipher the care directions on yarn labels. It wasn't very long, but I learning everything I need to know about reading yarn labels. Go ahead ask me.

Lastly, there was a drawing. Every month one of the members brings some yarn from their stash or a book they don't want anymore. How cool is that? That’s worth $1 a month. I’ve got to win sometime. This month was a book of sweater patterns. I didn't win, but as a thank you for joining I got these nifty note cards.


Tomorrow: project pictures. I promise!

4 Comments:

At October 26, 2005 2:42 PM, Blogger brooke t. higgins said...

A dollar a month! That's awesome! How long of a drive is it to the meeting? Hey, don't I know that yarn? Is it that one with all the pretty color strands mixed together in it? What did you learn about deciphering yarn label directions? Share with us your mighty wisdom! I love the notecards! Send me a note on the notecards! I am glad you had such a wonderful time! I can't wait until you go next month, too!

 
At October 26, 2005 3:05 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

The drive is a little over 30 minutes. It's a little longer than I'd like, but it's only once a month.

You've probably seen that yarn. I've had it for a long time. It's got a reddish strand, an orangish strand and a blue strand. Together they make a brownish yarn that I think knits up pretty nicely. I've already made two other pairs of socks with it. And I'll still have enough for another pair after these socks.

I'll share this one bit of wisdome: anything written in a circle is about dry cleaning. A circle with a "P" in it means "consult the cleaner." A circle with an "A" in it means "any solvant." And a circle with an "X" through it means DO NOT!

 
At October 26, 2005 3:07 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Yes, I did mean "wisdome." Wisdome is the next step up from ordinary wisdom.

 
At October 26, 2005 3:46 PM, Blogger Joy said...

Ooo! Nice notecards! Definitely worth $1.

Brooke, we should start a Cincinnati Knitting Guild. You have that power position at the knitting store and all.

Oh, I linked to your blog from mine. Is that ok? I have such a huge readership that you're likely to get deluged with comments...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home