Thursday, March 16, 2006

Rantings on American Idol

Guess who's feeling better! It's me! I can't believe it's been almost a month since I posted. I doubt anyone is even reading this anymore.

Over the past week I have picked up the baby blanket again and I am now up to 72 rows. Only 148 to go. I don't have any pictures because it looks pretty much the same as it did before. Which also means no mistakes!

Now! Let's talk about American Idol. Before this week, I haven't been very impressed. The performance simply weren't interesting. If I'd had to pick someone I'd have picked Mandisa simply because she seemed like the most genuine performer. But this week I actually liked two of the performances: Katherine McPhee and Taylor Hicks. Of course, now I can't remember what they sang or why I liked the performances. But trust me, I did.

None of the other performances impressed me. They weren't bad, they just didn't make my heart sing. I wasn't surprised to see Melissa go, though I think there are other people who did far worse than she did this week. Bucky for one. He's got to go. He looks like he ought to be holding a fifth of Jack and shot gun. How did Kevin get this far in the competition? He's cute and funny and he does alright, but he's definitely not at the same level as the other contestants. I also thought it was a little silly for the judges to compliment Chris on his originality. I don't see how singing the Chili Peppers version of Higher Ground is original. And Elliot is starting to freak me out. I can't seem to get past the idea that he is a werewolf, menonite or not.

I don't have any comments on the girls. They all sound the same.

6 Comments:

At March 17, 2006 12:49 PM, Blogger brooke t. higgins said...

I'm still reading! I still love you! My favorites were Mandisa and Chris. I know Chris wasn't original, but he's my favorite anyway. Taylor Hicks seems to be a big favorite, but he creeps me out just a little.

Kevin needs to go. He needs to go now. I don't think he's cute or sings well or anything. He needs to go back to preschool.

I'm happy that you're working on your blanket again! I love it when you knit! I miss you when you don't knit! YAY for Brenda!

 
At March 17, 2006 5:04 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Brooke! You do love me.

I don't usually like Taylor Hicks. He's a little spastic. I was surprised that I liked him this week.

I thought Chris did a good job, I just thought the judges were stupid.

I agree that Kevin needs to go, but I'd rather see Bucky go first. I think he tops out the creepy meter.

 
At March 20, 2006 10:57 AM, Blogger Joy said...

Wah-hoooo!!!! You posted again! And you're feeling better! Yay!

Can't wait to see how the baby blanket turns out. Are you going to keep this for yourself, and did you start it because you knew something you weren't telling anyone else at the time, or just because it looked cool? And why is it that I seem to be the last one who learns about all these big announcements? I'm not bitter or anything. Of course not. Just jealous. :)

I agree that Kevin has worn out his welcome. Making it to the top 12 guys was plenty of encouragement. Now he needs to grow up and take some more voice lessons.

The women do all sound the same, except for Mandisa. I also liked Katherine. I didn't see the guys sing - I think I was at a meeting that night. But the guy with the Britney Spears hair needs to go.

Scott said the same thing about Chris - what's original about doing a remake of a remake of an original song?

 
At March 21, 2006 2:16 PM, Blogger brooke t. higgins said...

For the longest time I thought the title of this post was "Ratings on American Idol". I have now figured out, however, that you are much more clever than I originally thought. Kudos.

 
At March 21, 2006 2:16 PM, Blogger brooke t. higgins said...

p.s. What else are you knitting besides that baby blanket? Maybe you should try some entrelac.

 
At March 23, 2006 10:49 AM, Blogger Joy said...

Just had to add... Buh-bye Kevin!

So, any thoughts on this week's shows?

I just have to say that I was SO relieved when they weren't required to sing Barry Manilow songs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home