Friday, August 10, 2007

This makes me ridiculously happy

First off, sorry it's been so long since I've posted. My parents came to visit for about three weeks and then I went to MI for the month of July. It was splendid! I even got to see Brooke. Oh, the fun we had.

I got back to WY the middle of last week and I'm trying to get used to desert life again. Yesterday I mentioned to my husband that I've only been home for a week and he said "Really? It seems like forver." Thanks. I'm glad to be back too.

Update: I've now been back for three weeks. I was working on this post when my in-laws arrived for a visit. (It usually takes me a couple of days to write a post. I know that's ridiculous. I'm just so fussy.) The day after they arrived I went into hospital and had my appendix removed. No we didn't plan it. It was just incredibly good timing on the part of my appendix. Now that I know what that pain was, I realize it's been building up for a couple of weeks.

So, I haven't gotten a whole lot of knitting done. But I FINISHED THE BLANKET! And it makes me so happy! It's my first ever completely completed blanket. It is humoungous; about 6 feet long and 4 feet wide. I didn't realize how big it was while I was knitting because it was crammed onto the needles. James loves it. He has already requested that I make another. And I'm just unbalanced enough that I'm considering it. I don't want to do another striped one though. I'm thinking that Brooke's Project Linus blanket pattern would work well. Or I could try to use some kind of stitch pattern. Feel free to chime in with your ideas.

For my birthday, Brooke gave me the Mason Dixon knitting book. She said the patterns reminded her of me. I was reading through the book and I thought "I guess I can see that." Then I came to the section of blanket patterns and I understood. These ladies are just as hairbrained as I am. The only difference is they finish their projects. And they might think through their ideas a little better than I do. But that's part of my charm. Right? Right.

I came across the pattern for the log cabin knitted blanket and I HAD to make it. But in the midst of my new project craze, I had a moment of clarity. I would make a small "sample" sized blanket to see how I liked the pattern. Thank heavens for the moment of clarity. I hate log cabin knitting. It looks nice and it's interesting but I HATE picking up stitches. At least that many stitches. And at the end you have 600 thousand million ends to weave in. No thank you! But I finished my sample blanket and even put a backing on it. (That way I didn't have to weave in the ends.) I figure it's big enough for a doll blanket. And it is kind of pretty.

2 Comments:

At September 02, 2007 4:00 PM, Blogger brooke t. higgins said...

Hey! A post AND two finished blankets! That's awesome. I LOVE the stripey blanket, and the log cabin one looks great too. Just think how appreciative Katherine will be to be able to keep her dollies warm!

 
At September 04, 2007 2:18 PM, Blogger Joy said...

WOW. I am in such awe of the stripey "angry pregnant woman" Blanket. It looks so cozy and snuggly.

I'm so sorry to hear about your appendix. Sounds like you didn't lose your sense of humor though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home