Friday, September 22, 2006

Yes! I did see the Yarn Harlot!

Hello my faithful readers! Sorry it has taken so long to post this. I had the post all written and my computer crashed, then the in-laws came to visit and I didn't have time to post, and then we (mostly) got new carpet and the entire house was packed up and put in the basement. But now we're finally back in operation!

I did indeed make it to Salt Lake City and I managed to see the Yarn Harlot. Of course there was so panic involved.

When I got to the yarn store (a scant 15 minutes before Stephanie was scheduled to speak) I found out that she wasn't speaking at the yarn store but at the arts center downtown and I needed a ticket. These two facts combined with a 2 1/5 hour drive may have led to some tears on my part. But no one was disgusted with me and no one told me to grow up. In fact there were a few extra tickets and another knitter gave me a ride to the arts center. You can see her sitting next to me in this picture. I believe her name is Robbie and she is wonderful. (She told me her name numerous times and of course I can't remember it.) If you are having trouble finding me, I'm the big red one, as my husband put it.

It was so nice to sit in a room and knit with other people. I worked on a baby sock. Yes! I have a matching pair now. Stephanie was very funny. She complained that it was hot (I had worn a sweater most of the day) and that we didn't have enough air (I had descended 3,000 feet and thought there was plenty of air). Best of all, she told willie warmer jokes.

After her talk we went back to the yarn shop, where she signed books. I was in line behind the Montana knitters. I thought that driving 2 1/5 hours was a show of dedication. They drove 12 hours. I don't think I would have driven 12 hours, even if I wasn't pregnant. As far as I could tell I was the only one who drove in from Wyoming.

Stephanie was very gracious. I can't imagine how long her day had been but she still laughed at my jokes and asked me to send her a picture of the baby. She said she likes babies because they are binary: wet or dry, hungry or full, asleep or awake.

I briefly considered hanging around the store to see if she might go out for a beer afterward but it was late and I had a two hour drive ahead of me. So I bought some yarn and headed home. All in all it was a very exciting day.


At September 23, 2006 4:05 PM, Blogger brooke t. higgins said...

I am so glad you got the chance to go see the yarn harlot... I was very happy to see your picture on her web page, too! I'm also glad that you met fun and nice people when you went... I have met fun and nice people both times I went too. And 12 hours does seem a bit ridiculous, no? Anyway, congratulations on the matching socks. And I'm sorry I've been such a loser and haven't kept in better touch. I miss you and love you long time!

At September 24, 2006 2:10 PM, Blogger Joy said...

Oh Brooke -- you would SO have driven 12 hours to see the yarn harlot if that was a close as she was coming to you. You're obsessed, remember?

Hurray for a matching pair of baby socks! I'm so excited for you and the baby coming soon.

Remember -- epidurals are your friend. (Take it from me -- I've done it both ways. Of course, anyone who wants to try without the epidural has my blessing... but I'm a big fan of them now.)

At September 26, 2006 10:09 AM, Blogger Robbie said...

Brenda! I'm glad to see you post, I emailed you, but it came back. Just wanting to make sure you made it back, and in one piece. You DID remember my name, good job! That was fun, seeing the yarn harlot and sitting with and getting to know you. Anybody who can knit socks while so pregnant, very impressive!!

New carpet huh? Nice!
Epidurals? Very, very nice.
New friends? Fantastic!


Post a Comment

<< Home