Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Beboparebop Rhubarb Pie!

Finally! Another post! How much of a slacker can I be?

A few things before we get to the knitting . . .

My first rhubarb pie! And the first pie that looks as good as it tastes. I usually end up with a mess of a pie that tastes pretty good or a pretty pie that tastes like a mess.

And a couple of house pictures


The living room

The dining room


And the view out the sliding back door

The living room and the dining room are the only two rooms that look good enough for pictures and those rooms are a good lead-in to the local garage sale craze. See the couch in the living room? We got that at a garage sale. It's like new. See the piano in the dining room? We got that at a garage sale. It's a little bit out of tune but otherwise in very good shape. We've also found some baby things, including a crib, car seat, and swing and James has bought a lot of tools. Not tools like hammers and screwdrivers, but power tools; one of the tools is new in the box, never used.

I have never seen garage sales like this before. People take out 15+ line ads for their sales and shoppers start arriving as early as an hour and a half before the sale starts. James got to a 7am sale at 6:30. He said people were grabbing things, throwing money on the table, running to their cars, and running back to get more. The home owner said people had started knocking on his door at 5:30. If an ad lists something you want you have to get there early. By 10am all the sales are pretty well decimated. It is more fun that I can possibly tell you.

Now, on to the real purpose of this blog: The knitting.


I have finished the back and left front of the sweater. The pieces are the same size, the match, and even the stitch pattern matches. This feat was not accomplished without some frogging but we don't need to talk about that. My current concern is that I'm not yet half way done with the sweater but I have used half my yarn. But I'm not going to panic. I'll just see what happens. I've put the sweater aside for the past few days because I don't want to do another 7 inches of ribbing.


As a result the blanket is going like gangbusters. When I started the sweater, I was finding the blanket a little tedious. But now after the fairly simple stitch pattern of the sweater the blanket seems fun and interesting. I have 40 rows left and then I start the border. I may try to finish the body of the blanket this week. Maybe.


In the current issue of Interweave Knits is a pattern for the pea pod baby set. Yes, that's the same leaf pattern that I'm using in my blanket. I'll finish the blanket first. I swear I will.

3 Comments:

At June 20, 2006 11:56 AM, Blogger brooke t. higgins said...

The rhubarb pie looks delectable. I wish I could have some.

If the pictures you show of the house are any indication of the rest of the house, it's clear to me why you fell in love with it. And the view from the sliding glass door? Wow. Just... wow.

The knitting? I'm so impressed. Look at you go on both those projects! I'm pleased and inspired. However, please don't expect me to stick to two projects any time in the near future.

 
At June 20, 2006 5:45 PM, Blogger Joy said...

Wow is right. Holy crappapolooza. I can't believe that's where you live! The wood, the brick, the view... And the silly crazy mondo garage sales! Who knew?

I love the sweater -- it looks so nice. The unmentionable frogging appears to have paid off. What a nice color!

 
At June 27, 2006 7:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Holly crapamoly are you kidding that is really the view from your house. No wonder James is in hog heaven. He just has to go outside to climb. Kudos on the garage sale. Word of Caution they can be adictive. Very impressive though. Your knitting is comming right along as well. Your actually going to finish a blanket... I know how much you hate doing them because you get board. :) I am going to have to find a way to come and visit you there too. Looking forward to MI though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home