Tuesday, March 28, 2006

More on the Blanket Saga and Other Random Thoughts

The Problem of the Blanket
I've been thinking about the difficulty I've had working on the blanket. I'm kind of bored with it. Not a real surprise there. But I've refused to start anything else. So I gave it some thought and realized that I feel guilty about not working the blanket and about wanting to start something else. I figured out that if I do 2 rows a day, I'll still have it done before the baby arrives. I tried to tell myself that I could do 2 rows each day and then work on something else. It's ok to work on a shawl for myself, or finish that pair of socks, or whatever. But I wasn't buying it. So I tried a different tack. I could work on something else for the baby. So today we have this:


The first half of Baby's First DNA Model. I thought James would get a kick out of this too.

If you look at the directions for the DNA Model you will see that they are a little sketchy. As Kimberly herself says "I don't do knitting patterns. I don't know how to read the abbreviations myself, so knitting patterns make my eyes cross. I'll describe in each case the general how-to for making your own version of the project, but half the point of any creative work should be for you to change it to your own tastes and needs."

That's fine. After all, when was the last time I followed a pattern exactly? However, her general how-to, including the twisted-tube tutorial, took up 6 pages. I've condensed that down to one page and am adding the missing details as I work so that I'll have the pattern if I ever want to make another DNA Model. If you decided that you have to make one too, I'd be happy to share the pattern notes.

Notes from Sally
This morning there was a dead earthworm in the middle of the living room floor. I'm pretty sure Sally had to be involved somehow but when I confronted her with the evidence she feigned ignorance.


I was worried that Sally would be very upset when Maggie left but she's doing just fine. I think it helps that she gets all of her toys back and can play as crazy as she wants.

American Idol Gossip
I know that we are all looking forward to tonight's American Idol performance show. Joy and I disagreed about Chris's performance last week. I thought it sounded like an alternative Christian Christmas song and, well, Joy didn't. I read that Chris's version of "I Walk the Line" is actually a version that the band Live did a few years ago. I don't think Chris ever claimed it was his version but some Live fans are incensed. I personally can't wait to see who he copies this week.

First Baby Gifts
Is there anything better than a surprise in the mail. No. Last week I got a surprise in the mail from our Miss Brooke! Of course, it was monkeys.
Aren't they precious? And notice the knitting themed note card. I've been threatening James with a monkey themed baby room so I'm calling these my first baby gifts. THANK YOU BROOKE!

3 Comments:

At March 29, 2006 8:55 AM, Blogger brooke t. higgins said...

You are so wickedly welcome. I think a monkey themed baby room is PERFECT. James doesn't have any say. It's not like it's his baby. Oh wait. I guess it is. But still, you know it will be a monkey baby anyway, so it needs a monkey room to feel comfortable. Annie Grook deems it so!!!

p.s. Baby's first DNA model? Brenda, seriously.

 
At March 29, 2006 10:09 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

See? Aren't you glad I didn't suggest any projects for you?

 
At March 29, 2006 2:08 PM, Blogger Joy said...

I too am not sure what to think about the DNA model. But I'm reserving judgment til we see the final product.

I look forward to your critique of the Idol performances last night!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home