Monday, April 10, 2006

Discovery!

Our trip this weekend was exciting and stressful! We found the perfect house and now we are waiting to hear if the owner accepts our offer. Finding this perfect house was quite an experience.

On Friday we looked at all 11 houses in our price range. That's right. There are only 11 houses on the market that we could afford. James fell in love with one. I wasn't so sure, but he convinced me and on Friday evening we put in an offer. Before submitting the offer, our realtor called the listing realtor to make sure the offer wasn't too low and to explain our time dilemma. We were only there for the weekend and we needed to know quickly if the answer was no so that we could put in an offer on another house. The listing realtor said she completely understood.

Well, by the time the offer was ready and faxed to the appropriate people, the listing realtor had left town for the weekend and no one could reach her. The owners of the house were also out of town and incommunicado. The offer sat out in no man's land until Sunday morning. And then the answer was "I'll accept the offer on Friday if I don't get any better offers before then."

I think I laughed. It was so ridiculous. We had to leave in 3 hours. We'd had plenty of time to think about the houses all day Saturday and James and I had agreed on two other houses that we liked. We asked our realtor if we could go back and look at those houses. Both houses were already under contract. One had only been on the market for four days. It looked like we were going to have to make another trip out. But not to worry! One house had come on the market the night before. We might as well go look at it. But honestly, what are the chances?

I stepped in the front door and smiled and I never stopped smiling. It didn't matter that the carpet was forest green or that the kitchen was small and awkward or that basement was completely unfinished. It felt like my house. I hadn't felt that in any of the other houses. I don't even feel that in the house I currently live in. We put in our offer and now we are just waiting. The owner has just over 4 hours left to consider the offer. I think the waiting might kill me. I'm trying to keep busy but I can't focus on anything. My nails are quickly disappearing and I've had a stomach ache all day.

Ok, I think I'm going to go look at my yarn or something. Wait, I was doing laundry. And dishes. And raking the yard. It would be nice if I could be unconscious for the next 4 hours.

2 Comments:

At April 10, 2006 2:39 PM, Blogger Joy said...

Let us know when you hear back! This is all very exciting. I'm quite envious actually. Scott and I have the house-hunting bug BAD but we have to wait at least until June. And then we might find out that we need to replace our van because we can't fix it or that we just can't afford what we need yet and have to wait another year. So I'm going to enjoy your experience vicariously, ok? :) I'm already chewing on my nails for you.

 
At April 10, 2006 4:36 PM, Blogger brooke t. higgins said...

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh!!! *chews nails*
*twiddles fingers*
*tosses dpns at kitties*
*pulls hair*

I can't wait to hear! If it's the perfect house, I know it's the perfect house!! I can't wait to see it! (I love forest green carpet!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home